Monday, June 25, 2007

What's With The Attitude?

When I first talked to our principal about homeschooling she gave me a "word of caution". It seems EVERY homeschooler they ever got back was "behind". She said "I don't recommend homeschooling unless you are going to stay with it." In other words "Hey, lady, don't mess your kids up by denying them the excellence of a public education and then bring them back here thinking I'm going to fix it." Is it just me or are these remarks extremely arrogant? I don't think I would have been so offended if she had taken the time to ask a few questions before she assumed I wuzn't smart 'nuff to lern my boy.

1 comment:

Sheri said...

Heya! Nice to see your blog Tracie. :)

LOL at the attitude. Well, I don't know how accurate her statement is. Is it really possible that every child who had been homeschooled (in your district) was behind when re-entered into public school? Hmmmm.... I don't know.
Maybe we could believe she is telling the truth. ;)
If so it could be reasonable to assume the children were returned to public school because homeschooling wasn't working for the family. Well, if homeschooling isn't working maybe that led to the child being "behind". Maybe.

Or, we could consider the method in which the ps evaluates children- fill in the dot test papers. Is it possible that some of the children didn't learn about butterflies during the "prescribed time"? I think this is entirely possible. Perhaps the hs child was learning about trees instead. But if the test covers butterflies the kid is screwed. Does that show the child is behind? Nope. It just shows the hs mom didn't teach to the test. :)

Or, we could decide to not believe her statement. When I withdrew R from ps the principal (and several office clerks) decided to give me "a word of caution" as well. They said that when R was returned to ps he would be tested and when he tested low it would effect which grade he entered. Hmmmm.... "When?" I asked, "I don't have any plans to ever return my child to your school, you are incompetent." They didn't take too kindly to that statement.
But you see what they did? They were basically informing me that my child WILL be returning to ps and he WILL be "behind". Nice how they can predict the future, huh?

Don't sweat the naysayers, they are ignorant of the situation. :)