Sunday, November 25, 2007

It's a Beautiful Thing

The biggest difference I see in my son since he is homeschooling is that he now knows how to learn. Sure, he was an honor roll student in public school. I'm not saying he didn't learn anything there. He had some excellent teachers, but this is different. He is starting to realize he can learn about anything all on his own and that he doesn't need to wait to be taught. It is a beautiful thing! We are in the early stages, but it's happening! Hopefully, the days of spoon feeding info and forced digestion will be erased from his memory. It's happening for me too. As a product of the public school system, it's been difficult for me to abandon the methods that have been ingrained through my own education and that of my children until this point. Over the years, I've realized that grades aren't an accurate reflection of knowledge or ability, but I'm beginning to see just how arbitrary those standards are. There is so much more to learning than swallowing the bites that are fed to us.

No comments: