Thursday, November 15, 2007

Parenting - Garbage on TV

My oldest son is in 7th grade. He told me about a show his friend told him to watch - something about high school pranks. I said he could watch it. Knowing the parents, Mr and Mrs. Popular, I didn't think much of it. So, he's watching the show, which wasn't too bad, then I realize it is on MTV. Okay, thanks for allowing your children to watch MTV, Mr. and Mrs. Popular. You make life so much easier for those of us who are fed up with the garbage flooding the lives of the future men and women of America. It really helps mold them - thanks for doing your part to instill decency and morals. MTV is a good choice of quality entertainment for a 12 year old. My son also tells me about the movies kids his age are allowed to watch...sigh.I know I'm also to blame because I didn't check into it before I agreed, but I think you can see what I'm saying. A perfect example of why we can't rely on the "village" to raise our children. I mean parents are free to raise their own kids as they see fit, but what is with people? Where do they get their ideas of what is appropriate or not? Surely, these people have some sort of reservations about such things - don't they? I'm not a perfect parent. I fail miserably in certain aspects of my life, so I'm trying not to be critical. But why don't parents care more about what their children are exposed to?

No comments: