Monday, July 14, 2008

School Books and the Budget

As I struggle to find extra cash in the budget to purchase new books, I wonder how those of you teaching several children do it. My oldest is in public school, and my youngest doesn't need a specific curriculum yet. I just have one to buy for, but it takes a chunk of money. Then, when I think about how much money the public school gets for having my oldest there... well, I feel kind of irritated. I catch myself daydreaming of what I could do with $7,000 a year for my homeschooled kid.
If I had more experience homeschooling, or even more time to put plans together, I'm sure I could save more. But for now, I'm relying on reputable curriculum.
I did find this handy site over at Amy's blog. I've found some great resources there and will save some money by using it. I think I will try to compile a list of all the neat free sites I've come across in my short homeschooling journey.... one of these days. In the meantime I'll dream of all the money I could use on trips to DC or Gettysburg or awesome science stuff, but instead is being squandered at the public school.

1 comment:

T said...

Ugh I feel your pain. I get sick to my stomach thinking of the money I could have to spend on my children's education if I wasn't forced to pay for the education of other people's children too. We use the Charlotte Mason method so the only text books I buy are for math and phonics. The rest are living books I got off Amazon and with free shipping. BUT the older they get the more it cost.